We are looking for an experience Farm Manager with experience with Vegetable farming in the East Rand area (Johannesburg)
- Tertiary qualification will be an advantage
- 10+ years relevant experience (Vegetation)
- A solid base knowledge of horticulture and horticultural production primarily in the vegetable space.
- Preferable experience – Growing, producing and supplying directly into one, preferably two of the three major retailers in South Africa. A decent base knowledge of the minimum technical/audit requirements of the retailers would be a benefit.
- Staff management skills
- Valid Drivers license
- Good communication skills
- Computer Literate
Responsibilities (Not limited to):
- Staff management: 300 - 500 staff members
- Managing around 2000 tunnels
- Pest control
- Ensure that Products are of the highest quality
- Ensure that orders at met and on time
Plan and coordinate the operation of farms, nurseries, greenhouses, and other agricultural production sites. Hire and train farmers to care for the crops under their supervision. Oversee all aspects of running farms and other facilities that produce crops.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning, supervising, of the planting, fertilization, and harvesting process.
- Oversee hiring, training, and managing farm workers, ensuring that they are properly prepared for their positions.
- Selecting the proper equipment and supplies needed to properly support the farm.
- Keep records and market the yield for that year.
- Use strategic sourcing to develop and drive strategies and processes.
- Develop and lead strategic sourcing activities, including internal and external analysis and negotiations.
- Keep track of projections based on changing market environment.
- Develop and promote robust supplier diversity.
- Prepare daily/weekly/monthly projections.
- Track total cost of production and variations to budget.
- Knowledge of procurement and supply chain as they relate to agricultural industry.
- General knowledge of production, markets, and supply chain processes of agricultural commodities.
- Lead ongoing joint business activities(outgrowers).
- Direct performance on KPIs, and productivity initiatives and innovation.
- Manage and coordinate all phases of agricultural production from planting to harvest.
- Maximize premium yield in the most cost-effective manner.
- Be willing to approach agriculture holistically but with a business mindset.
- Have a broad scope of knowledge that includes crop and soil science, meteorology, crop physiology, and related fields like predictive modelling.
- Communicate findings to colleagues.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Enforce government regulations.
- Write business proposals for funding purposes.
- Lead/coordinate cross-functional efforts to support activities regarding ingredients quality, product innovation, and corporate social responsibilities.
- Lead cross functional groups to develop productivity programs that deliver enabler and Total Procurement Value targets.
- Develop and articulate monthly commodity strategy for the CPO and procurement leadership and other reports as needed.
- Develop category specific information on spend, supplier performance, compliance, standards and specifications and industry benchmarks.
- Manage all personnel including payroll, hiring, terminating, layoffs, scheduling, training, and providing the necessary equipment to fulfil job responsibilities.
- Oversee all aspects of production, including but not limited to fertilizing, pruning, irrigation, spraying, ground maintenance, harvest, packing, storage, and logistics.
- Assist in producing and managing annual budgets.
- Use consultants to research and implement new agricultural/horticultural technologies.
- Implement growing and quality standards.
- Implement and manage human and food safety policies and practices for all employees and third parties.
- Review current research in the field in order to develop horticultural and technical knowledge.
- Engage in technical report preparation.
- Foster a positive and safe work environment with mentorship opportunities.
- Navigate regional, and international regulations, and best practices.
- Liaise with farm stakeholders and partners.
- Consult with farmers, engineers, fellow scientists, and government agencies regarding best practices.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted