Main Purpose of Role
The Employee Relations (ER) Specialist will provide strategic human capital support that aligns with priorities of the business. Enable organizational changes that drive sound employment relations; give direction, assurance and provide specialist advice and support to HRBPs, line Management, and employees. Assist in the application of ER policies and procedures, enabling a fair, respectful, diverse and high performance culture. The Employee Relations Specialist must be a trusted subject matter expert that draws internal and external insights to advance and create knowledge that benefit the management of people.
Required Minimum Education / Training
- Minimum of 3 year Degree (Social Sciences / Law).
- Labour law qualification will be an added advantage.
Required Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum 7 years’ experience, preferably in the areas employee relations, labour relations and HR business partnering in a high-performance environment.
- A track record of delivery of employee relations initiatives that drive consistency and efficiency within a high-performance environment.
Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Report writing.
- Employee data analysing.
- Proficiency in MS Office Skills.
- Proficiency in BCEA, LRA and related labour legislation.
- CCMA process.
- Constructive resolution management.
- Case investigation and management.
- Managing disputes and discipline.
- Business acumen
- Relationship management.
- Problem solving.
- Positive attitude.
- Creative / Innovative.
Key Performance Areas
KPA 1 – ER Strategic Planning and Execution
- Provide fact based inputs and insights into the development of the ER strategy.
- Give direction on the application of ER policies and procedures to HRBPs.
- Provide assurance of the proper implementation of ER policies and procedures to HRBPs and business.
- Suggest improvements to ER policies, procedures and processes in the Company.
- Provide employee and labour relations support in partnership with the Human Resource Business Partners (HRBPs) to ensure proper handling of various issues.
- Partner with Stakeholders and HRBPs to inform strategies and build action plans that will ensure a sound ER environment within the business.
- Identify and implement positive employee relations programmes in consultation with the HRBPs and stakeholders that will lead to a more efficient and motivated workforce.
- Ensure ER policies and processes are current, conform to employment legislation and, where appropriate, are coherent with relevant labour legislation and liaise with HRBPs, Management and employees.
- Develop and deliver ER training workshops to up-skill HRBPs and line Managers to build knowledge and increase capability, and to minimise and mitigate ER risk.
- Proactively measure the climate of the business units and actively engages with operational teams on changes taking place.
- Facilitate regular ER climate surveys in conjunction with the HRBPs to ensure proactive management of the ER function at business unit level.
- Be a change agent and communicate on the change in partnership with the HRBPs.
KPA 2 – Capability Building
- Identify capability gaps in consultation with the HRBPs and develop or source relevant solutions to close the gaps and ensure capability building for HRBPs and line Mangers to empower them to manage people issues effectively.
- Provide advice and thought leadership to HRBPs and line Managers relating to ER related matters.
- Keep abreast of evolving legislation, trends, best practice; and recommend opportunities for HRBPs to become more efficient and effective in employee relations practices.
KPA 3 – Consulting and Advisory Services
- Monitor and coordinate all disciplinary and grievance cases and ensure that HRBPs follow due process during all disciplinary and dispute resolutions processes.
- Provide advice to HRBPs on complex, advanced and high risk cases on the appropriateness and fair application of relevant procedures intervention in regard to misconduct, performance and other labour matters.
- End-to-end responsibility and execution of reductions in terminations in partnership with the HRBPs.
- Partner with the HRBPs to ensure proper handling of employee complaints and workplace issues.
- Provide specialist advice and coaching to HRBPs and line Managers to promote an engaged and positive culture.
- Assist the HRBPs in preparing case evidence for CCMA matters and where required co-represent the Company at the CCMA.
- Ensure effective tracking and reporting of all ER cases within the HR management system.
KPA 4 – Reporting, Analytics and Management Risk
- Coordinate all business units reporting on ER and provide input monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Analyse all ER related MI and share insights and propose solutions.
- Understand and remedy all related risks identified by the HRBPs.
- Understand and remedy all related audit findings identified in audits.
- Identify trends and risks and address with management and HRBPs as required.
- Create case records on the ER / HRIS system and maintain the accuracy thereof.
KPA 5 – Stakeholder Management & People Management
- Build and maintain relationships with the HRBPs to ensure constant co-operation.
- Drive a performance management culture within the team in consultation with the HRBPs.
- Track, measure and enhance employee engagement in partnership with the HRBPs.
- Oversee performance management and coaching of staff in consultation with the HRBPs to ensure KPA's are achieved.
Reports To: HR Operations Executive
No of direct reports: 1
No of indirect reports: 0