The Pastry Chef de Partie (CDP) at Birkenhead House is responsible for running the Pastry section in the kitchen of our intimate boutique hotel kitchen. The Pastry CDP ensures the highest standards and consistent quality in the daily preparations for the Pastry section. They keep up to date with new products, recipes and preparation techniques.
- Takes care of daily food preparation and duties assigned by the Head Chef to meet the standard and the quality set by the Restaurant.
- Ensure that the production, preparation and presentation of food are of the highest quality at all times.
- Able to estimate the daily production needs and checking the quality of food products and ingredients to ensure that standards are met.
- Managing and training any Commis Chefs working with you.
- Monitoring portion and waste control to maintain profit margins.
- Continually develop new pastry dishes, breads, desserts and other menu items.
- To undergo both formal and on-the job training to develop cooking and kitchen organisational skills.
- To aid all stock taking within the Pastry Kitchen
- Supervise workloads during shifts.
- Ensure that you follow and lead by example according to our Purpose and Values.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Must have at least 2 years’ experience in a 5* Hotel or established full-service restaurant environment
- Must have at least 1 years’ experience in a Pastry Kitchen
- Tertiary qualification in Culinary Arts with minimum 3 years certification.
- Creative cooking and baking skills
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask with excellent time-management
- Proven job reliability, diligence, dedication and attention to detail.
- Must be flexible with working nights, weekends and holidays
It is important that the candidate is able to work as part of a team and is a good cultural fit for The Royal Portfolio.
South African citizenship is advantageous. A valid work permit is essential if you are not in possession of a South African ID document.