We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated news editor to drive the coverage of news for the print and digital platforms. The candidate must have significant experience in the news industry with exceptional editing skills and ability to lead a diverse team of multi-media reporters. The successful candidate should have exceptional organizational skills, as well as being able to think on their feet and motivate staff in a challenging editorial environment.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES / OUTCOMES
• Responsible for the newspaper’s overall news coverage;
• Must be able to work in a digital-first environment where news is filed for the website first;
• Manage and co-ordinate the news diary;
• Produce quality and exclusive news content that generates national conversation;
• Develop story ideas on an ongoing basis;
• Repackage, rewrite and edit news content from multiple sources and ensure reporters are briefed to file across all platforms;
• Lead the paper’s investigations;
• Represent the newspaper in various capacities when required by the Editor;
• Ensure delivery of high-quality stories with immediacy, paying attention to detail and produce journalism with speed, accuracy and clarity;
• The news editor will work closely with the digital editor in instances of breaking news to ensure rolling coverage throughout the day.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• A three or four year qualification in journalism would be advantageous;
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience on a mainstream daily or weekend news environment;
• Experience acquired on both weekend and daily publications will be an added advantage;
• A thorough knowledge of journalistic ethics and media law;
• Experience in news diary management;
• A track record in news reporting and feature writing;
• Experience in working within a team;
• A valid driver’s licence.
SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES & ATTITUDES:
• Excellent news gathering, research, writing and editing skills;
• Above average command of the English language;
• A demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting the Eastern Cape and SA at large;
• Knowledge of current affairs;
• Ability to lead by example, show innovation and meet deadlines with a quick turnaround;
• A commitment to high quality journalism;
• Ability to network;
• Be prepared to work irregular hours;
• Groom and nurture junior journalists;
• A receptiveness to feedback and openness to change
This alert already exists for this Email.
You have successfully created your alert.
You will receive an email when a new job matching your criteria is posted.