My client, a well-established manufacturing / automotive company in Durban has an opportunity available for a suitably qualified and experienced Production Manager.
Purpose of the role:
Manage the conversion of product from raw material state into finished goods product in the most efficient cost-effective manner according to internationally benchmarked standards and practices.
Managing Production Output
- Ensure production schedules (MPS) are met.
- Re-schedule production based on re-prioritising urgent orders, unforeseen plant/component breakdowns or shortages etc. by liaising with Supply chain Manager and discussing changed production schedules.
- Monitor production progress by discussing production plan achievement daily. Follow up actions through daily minute production meetings.
- Monitor production output daily and implement actions to improve performance should performance vary from accepted production levels.
- Develop medium to long term actions to improve production performance and reduce variability through a process of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that acceptable quality levels are maintained according to acceptable standards
- Develop effective procedures and instructions in the areas under your control to ensure the effective management of the production conversion processes in line with ISO 9000 QMS requirements.
Condition of Plant Equipment and Safety of Employees
- Plan and implement preventive maintenance on all key equipment with a view to improving plant reliability and safety.
- Ensure that routine daily, weekly and monthly maintenance is conducted on all equipment and moulds to ensure optimal performance and to reduce possible long-term damages.
- Ensure immediate attention is given to breakdowns of plant and equipment.
- Review ongoing performance of plant and report on situations, which hinder production performance or endanger the safety of employees.
Financial controls and budgets
- Measure performance against budget, investigate and follow up on areas of poor performance. Implement actions to improve budgetary performance.
- Develop and implement action plans to reduce costs and improve control on consumable items.
- Improvement management.
- Co-ordinate efforts in the production departments to improve performance through a process of ongoing improvement.
Manage performance and motivation of subordinates and the department
- Conduct daily meetings to discuss topical issues and those discussed at departmental management meetings.
- Min: Production management Diploma
- Ideal: Higher diploma or degree in operations management
- At least 4 years’ experience in a management position.
- Automotive / Manufacturing experience required
- Previous exposure to workplace improvement planning and implementation
- Excellent motivational and management skills.