Purpose of the position:
The successful applicant will be responsible for the gathering and analyzing of financial information,
supporting and developing budgets, reporting, information dissemination and analysis. This role will provide
direct support to the financial manager/financial management team including: month end processes, audit
preparation and execution and other ad hoc tasks
- CA (SA) and minimum 2 years’ experience as an Accountant / Cost Accountant; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of financial accounting systems Clear
Ability to communicate in English
- A valid driver’s license
- Proficiency in Microsoft packages
- Clear criminal and credit record
- Prepare project specific and organisational budgets as and when needed.
- Budget development in support of new business activities.
- Ensure that organisational policies are taken into account in all budgeting processes.
- Develop and update appropriate templates to assist in budget consolidation, interact with sub-awardees and review budgets prepared by sub-awardees to ensure quality standards are maintained, if applicable.
- Review budgets prepared by others to ensure quality standards are maintained.
- Prepare monthly project specific financial reports in the required templates.
- Develop templates for presenting financial progress in a simplified way.
- Prepare monthly consolidated reporting, which includes management accounts.
- Provide analysis of financial reporting and share insights with relevant staff.
- Provide insight into whether organisational policies are being adhered to from review of the financial reports.
- Conduct detailed monthly reviews of sub-awardees progress against contracted requirements and financial documents.
- Develop and update appropriate templates to assist in report consolidation, may need to interact with sub-awardee, if applicable.
- Ensure completeness of reports to the underlying records.
- Review reports prepared by others to ensure quality standards are maintained.
- Facilitate accurate forecasting for projects by working with the financial management team and relevant programmed staff.
- Create and maintain relevant templates for accurate and regular forecasting.
- Clearly document and provide insight to senior management on the assumptions used for forecasting.
- Review forecasting prepared by others (e.g. accountants, compliance officers) and provide feedback and insight to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure that budgets, reports, forecasts or presentations are prepared in the required templates and are quality controlled.
- Ensure that rules and regulations are appropriately incorporated into budgets and that adherence is maintained within the organisation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ensure that all work is clearly documented and backed up as necessary.
- Stakeholder engagement
- Maintain and build productive relationships with external stakeholders (funders, government, auditors etc.).
- Maintain and build productive relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Financial management support
- Assist the financial management team in:
o Finalising month end processes (reviewing of batches, review month end journals)
o Preparing for and executing efficient and compliant audit processes
o Monitor and review validity, accuracy and completeness of the financial accounts
o Support the finance team in meeting deadlines, while maintaining quality standards
Skills, competencies and abilities:
- Previous exposure within NGO/NPO environment
- Ability to work with and create financial modelling tools within Microsoft Excel (advanced)
- Strong understanding of business and finance principles
- Expert understanding of current accounting principles
- Ability to analyse and summarise complex information
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good analytical and numerical abilities
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to work accurately under pressure
- Deadline driven
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Motivate and co-ordinate people, tasks and resources to achieve deadlines.