LEGAL COUNSEL – Claremont, Cape Town, South Africa
R540 000 – R780 000 Per Annum Open to Negotiation on Qualification and Years of Relevant Experience plus Performance Based Bonus’s!
Established Global Renewable Energy concern is seeking to appoint a Legal Counsel to assist the SA business with various legal, regulatory and compliance functions.
The Legal Counsel is an integral member of their niche and innovative team of professionals and plays an active role in the development and implementation of business strategies.
Working in a small, highly-skilled team requires an individual with a high level of self-motivation, emotional maturity and good interpersonal, solutions driven and team player skills.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The role will have a dual reporting line to the Managing Director and the Group’s Energy General Counsel and will be primarily focused on fulfilling the needs of the South African business in management of the operation and development of new projects, however, there will be opportunities to assist with legal/compliance work in support of the companies broader Energy interests across Africa.
- Transaction support for the project development and asset management teams.
- Liaison with Lenders, Shareholders and various regulatory authorities on contractual matters.
- Drafting, reviewing, vetting and interpreting a range of contracts for various entities within the Group.
- Researching, interpreting and advising on legal issues arising within the Group and its various operations.
- Provide comprehensive legal support and advisory services to the Group.
- Responsible for compliance by the Group with South African Companies Act and all company secretarial (board and shareholder) coordination and management for all aspects of the
- Managing external legal counsel and legal costs.
- Co-ordinate preparation of board packs, preparation of meeting minutes, drafting and co-ordination of signature of board and shareholder resolutions.
- Managing and undertaking reporting and compliance functions for the Group under various legislation and regulatory regimes. Developing and implementing regulatory, legal and
- governance policies throughout the Group.
- Co-ordinate and assist in conducting various compliance assessments as well as environmental and regulatory license audits for all Group companies, as required.
- Keeping abreast of new legislation and amendments to existing legislation; providing general legal support to entities in the Group.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENECE REQUIRED:
- LLM | LLB Degree and admission as attorney. An LLM qualification will be advantageous.
- 2-5 Years Post admission experience gained in a legal practice or in-house legal department (post qualification) dealing primarily with general corporate and commercial work/drafting and vetting of a wide variety of contracts.
- Experience in structured and project finance, banking and finance and the renewable energy industry would be advantageous.
- Proven company secretarial and governance experience
- International experience would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English (Afrikaans, French and Portuguese may be beneficial)
- Broad knowledge of project finance transactions
- Broad knowledge of company legislation and regulations and legislation affecting the renewable energy industry, including REIPPP, IFC Performance Standards and Equator Principles would be a benefit
- MS Office proficient
- Willingness to travel
Please email CV’s to Nicole Spamers: firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com and Andrea Jones firstname.lastname@example.org