Our client is a leading South African online retailer, and are looking for a highly talented Data Engineer to join their team in Cape Town.
They are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard- working people with integrity to join their team. They offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Data Systems Director
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Designing, developing, testing, and maintaining data architectures.
- Preparing data for descriptive, predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Automating repetitive tasks and manual processes related with the data usage
- Optimizing data delivery
- Designing, developing, and testing large stream data pipelines to ingest, aggregate, clean, and distribute data models ready for analysis
- Ensuring the highest standard in data integrity
- Leveraging best practices in continuous integration and delivery
- Collaborating with other engineers, ML experts, analysts, and stakeholders to produce the most efficient and valuable solutions
- Contributing to our data democratisation and literacy vision by making accessible and easy-to-use data products and tools
- Implementing features, technology, and processes that move us towards industry best practices, improving on scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security
- Operations and ownership of systems in production, responding to incidents
- Works well with people and is passionate about helping people be their best
- Is a team player, an active listener, mentor, and able to communicate well
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making, with the ability to work under pressure
- Is passionate about technology, systems and data
- Is curious, always learning, and keeping up to date with the industry
- Has a deep understanding of data pipelining, streaming, and Big Data technologies, methods, patterns, and techniques.
- Has a solid grasp on data modeling, schema design, data warehouse, and data lake design and implementation
- Can troubleshoot complex database operations and performance issues
- Can automate tasks using shell scripting or writing small applications
Qualifications & Experience:
- Computer Science Degree or 3 years relevant industry experience
- Experience with open source relational database systems (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Significant technical experience and a proven track record of data modeling and schema design
- A thorough understanding of database and data warehousing principles (e.g. OLAP, Data Marts, Star Schema, Snowflake, etc.)
- Write code (we use Java and Python)
- Familiar with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Travis, Circle CI, etc.
- Experience with Kafka, PubSub, or other event-based systems
- Experience with stream data pipeline frameworks or solutions such as Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Storm, Databricks, etc.
- Experience with data warehousing, data lakes, lambda/kappa architectures
- Experience working in cloud environments and with containerisation frameworks, tools and platforms (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, GKE, etc.).
- Our employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of our company being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to employ an Extraordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours)
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING