An exciting opportunity exists for a Commercial Legal Advisor to join our client’s Legal Department based in Cape Town.
The purpose of this position is to provide legal advice to all business units and companies within the Group to ensure best legal practice and manage and mitigate legal risks on behalf of the Group.
This position is responsible for providing proactive, in-depth legal and business-focused advice and analysing and identifying the legal risks and implications of all the business’ transactions within area of responsibility.
The Commercial Legal Advisor is also tasked with keeping the Head of Legal informed of any new legislation/regulations that potentially affects the business of the Group and the Group generally and coordinating all legal matters requiring external legal assistance.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but is not limited to):
- To provide legal advice in an effective and professional manner.
- Respond and resolve ad hoc legal queries timeously and effectively.
- Assist with rolling out policies, procedures and controls and report on non- adherence at the appropriate level where necessary.
- Proactively assist with compliance with relevant legislation, regulations and contractual obligations and likewise proactively assist with the prevention of non- compliance with relevant legislation, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Instruct external legal counsel where necessary and co-ordinate all legal matters which require external legal assistance.
- To ensure all legal agreements and documentation are in place.
- Draft and review sensitive and high-value legal agreements and documentation (including policies) necessary for business operations ensuring compliance with all in-country legislation.
- Develop and review standard legal templates.
- Assist with the safe storage of all hard and soft copies of sensitive and high-value legal agreements and documentation within area of responsibility.
- To mitigate business risk by constantly monitoring and identifying areas of risk.
- To liaise with relevant stakeholders.
- Update internal and external stakeholders regularly and ensure required turnaround times are met.
- To maintain up to date and current knowledge on happenings within the legal environment.
- Carry out legal research and investigations (through Internet searches and other legal resources).
- Keep on top of relevant legislative, regulatory and industry changes and assess impact of any new legislation providing updates to Head of Legal when required.
- Provide training to internal stakeholders when required if new legislation impacts them.
- Analyse data and recommend course of action when required.
- To assist with internal training and mentorship.
- To manage own professional and self-development.
- Grade 12 or equivalent (essential).
- Undergraduate Degree (desirable).
- LLB Degree (essential).
- Admission as an Attorney of the High Court (essential).
- A tertiary business / commercial qualification (desirable).
- More than 5 years post admission experience in a corporate and commercial environment (essential).
- Solid experience drafting of contracts and very strong drafting (contractual and opinion writing) (essential).
- Experience in cross- border transactions (desirable).
- Knowledge of commercial and business law.
- Knowledge of commercial agreements.
- Knowledge of legal, financial and taxation systems of all countries in which the group companies operate.
- Knowledge of the remittance industry and the specific legal requirements relevant to the industry.
- Knowledge of data protection legislation.
- Computer literate (Office Suite).
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Planning and organising skills.
- Administrative skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong research skills (Internet and other legal resources).
- Analytical skills.
- Multi-tasking skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Professional expertise.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, both independently and in a team.
- Ability to think critically and use initiative.
Market related salary on offer.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Area: Cape Town.
Please forward your CV to us if you meet the above-mentioned requirements.
Correspondence will only be conducted with short listed candidates.
If you do not receive any response after four weeks, please consider your application as unsuccessful.