Desert Diamond Fishing (Pty) Ltd is looking for 2 qualified and skilled 2nd Engineers to join the sea going crew. This position is based on a midwater trawler, the Desert Diamond.
- Maintain safety and firefighting equipment of the machinery spaces
- Ensure compliance to SAMSA and MOSREG regulations
- Ensure compliance to MARPOL regulations with specific attention to oily bilge water maintenance and control and accounting in oil record books
- Receiving and maintenance of lubricating oils, maintaining of accounting documents of oils, reporting to senior engineer regarding its daily use
- Preparation of water and quality control
- Ensure uninterrupted operation, technical exploitation and maintenance and efficiency of:
- Main power plant and service mechanisms
- Air compressors and air reticulation and storage
- Main shaft gears, reduction gears and couplings
- Propeller and controls
- Steering mechanisms
- Preform watchkeeping duties
- Ensure that a high standard of efficiency is maintained
- Give advice on the upkeep of machinery and mechanical fittings in other departments
- Responsible for the efficient working order and application of relevant safe working practices in the Marine Engineering spaces as well as any mechanical work that is being done onboard
- Safe operation of the main propulsion system, electrical generation equipment, ancillary equipment, refrigeration system, deck equipment and all relevant and supporting machinery
- Ensure that before getting under way, the propulsion controls, steering gear, engine order telegraphs and sirens are tested and correct
- Ensure that a recognised emergency method of communication between the propulsion/machinery control position (MCR) and the bridge is arranged and maintained
- Assist the Chief Engineer with the maintenance of the use of Hull and fittings, water integrity and preservation of the whole Hull structure of the ship, including all openings
- Responsible for the firemain, pumping, flooding and drainage systems of the ship, manual pumps
- Ensure that all safety precautions regarding protection against fire, including welding or burning operations, are strictly observed.
- Keep and maintain Engineering Logbooks and present these documents to the Marine Superintendent at the end of voyages.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations, including but not limited to MARPOL, SOLAS and MOSREGS. This includes the maintenance of the required books and documents.
- Actively participate in the Skills Transfer program for purposes of South Africanisation.
- A Class 3 Marine Engineer certificate
- Extensive seagoing experience as Marine Engineer on a large freezer trawler.
- Strong understanding of relevant Marine Legislation, in particular STCW 95, SOLAS, ISM Code, MARPOL and ISPS regulations.
- Watchkeeping experience on a vessel >4000 gross tonnage
In support of the company’s Employment Equity Plan, applicants from designated groups will be given preference for this position.
Interested parties meeting the above criteria are requested to apply with a brief CV to Oceana Careers, subsequent to a discussion with their Line Manager.
Closing date for applications: 7 July 2021
If you are not contacted within two weeks of closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful