Our client, an investment and asset management company situated in Bellville, has a vacancy in their Operations department for an experienced Operations Specialist.
Our client believes the appointment of an operations resource with appropriate experience and qualifications will allow it to support the increase in business demand.
- Position within the operation team, principally as an Operations Specialist.
- The Operations Specialist will report to the Operations Manager who reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- The purpose of the role is to contribute to and promote robust operating procedures across the investment management business to create an efficient, responsive and process driven operations team.
- Relevant qualifications and experience and a fit with the current team is critical and would override particular demographic background, however EE candidate preferred.
- Due to processing required for meeting market deadlines, the hours of this role may start early at 7am and end earlier or start later and finish late at 7pm.
Qualifications and experience:
- Appropriate Finance Qualification: Chartered Accountant (CA) or BCom (Hons) with Accounting.
- Must have experience in Financial Services.
- Specialist qualification in financial services would be advantageous.
- Experience with reconciliations and cash management
- Self-driven with at least 2 to 5 years’ working in operations in the financial services industry (preferably in fund management).
- Strong communicator and team player.
- High attention to detail.
- Relevant computer skills and system experience.
- Experience in a programming language would be advantageous, but not required.
- Based in the Western Cape.
- EE candidate (preferred).
- SA citizen.
- Contribute to and promote robust operating procedures across the investment management business to create an efficient, responsive and process driven operations team.
- Improve business understanding of operations processes and procedures.
- Establish and promote enhanced business processes that ensure efficient and effective stakeholder delivery within set expectations and agreed performance standards in the area of accountability and the overall optimisation of the value chain for the business, including:
- Optimisation of reconciliations.
- Exception handling. Investigation of significant variances and effective resolution of reconciliation breaks and ad hoc challenges.
- Monitoring of the operations mailbox and timeous execution of stakeholder requests.
- Take responsibility for daily operational activities.
- Liaise with stakeholders, run daily operational activities, receive, and execute requests timeously.
- Ensure timeous and correct recording of transactions.
- Liaise with stakeholders to keep them fully appraised of the progress of queries.
- Maintaining of the incident log and solution resolution.
- Control enhancements to address operational weaknesses.
- Delivery of solutions for process optimisation and ongoing business requests within given timeframes.
- Set-up and monitor new clients and client transitions across custodians.
- Increased and more formal oversight of the operations functions such as formal review of reconciliations.
- Review of reconciliation of trade and fund dealing activity, corporate action and Proxy voting management, cash management and spot FX instruction, reconciliation of cash, positions, and performance.
- Monitor daily cash and position reconciliations, settlement and corporate actions performed by other team members.
- Monitor hedge fund specific processes including management of cash levels, mirror differences, fund closing / consolidation.
- Cash management on funds including checking / instructing fund subscriptions, security book overs and margin calls.
- Liaise with investment managers, prime brokers, and custodians during transaction processing and NAV preparation.
- Review of investment fund NAV reports.
Perspective: SQL data framework:
- Oversight of the electronic operations platforms and contribute to the optimisation of a new SQL data framework including validation of data points, development of reconciliations and reporting outputs.
- Automate and standardise processes for the handling of trades and reconciliations at a transactional level.
- Ongoing enhancement and value add.
- Build capacity/infrastructure for growth through the SQL data framework.
Perspective: Operating Policies and Procedures:
- Develop, implement, and maintain standard operating procedures.
- Contribute to and promote compliance with policies and procedures.
- Share and transfer product, process, and systems knowledge to colleagues.
- Collaborate and work with internal teams to deliver required service levels.
- Ensure achievement of own performance objectives.
- Share information with other team members regarding successes, issues, trends, and ideas.
- Participate in own professional development and career path.
Knowledge / Skills / Attributes:
- High attention to detail is critical.
- Ability to view transactions and processes from a high level to identify gaps/risks
- Process driven.
- Problem solving and innovation.
- Relevant market knowledge.
- Team player.
- Relationship management and networking with stakeholders and service providers.
- Fit in with an entrepreneurial, hard-working culture.
Area: Bellville area, Cape Town.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Salary: R650k – R850k per annum
Closing date: 30 July 2021
Should you fit the profile kindly apply online for this position.
Please consider your application as unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks.