A JSE listed Wealth Management institution which has been providing tailored global and local investment offerings to private and institutional clients is looking for a diligent and pioneering Graduate to join their high-spirited team as an Economics Analyst.
Main Purpose of the Job
The Economics Analyst will play an important role in assisting an investment team that manages a range of fixed income, equity and multi-asset funds and solutions. The main focus will be on researching and reporting on economic developments in South Africa, but also in a global context. They will be required to develop econometric models for a number of key macroeconomic variables for use as inputs into the investment decision-making process. The analyst will be required to collate and analyse economic variable forecasts and trends from a number of relevant sources. While the main focus is on economic and econometric analysis, the analyst will also be expected to contribute towards the success of the full investment process, from developing portfolio strategy through to trade execution and administration, encompassing some involvement on the front, middle and back office aspects of the process as part of a broader investment team.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Development of econometric models.
- Analysis of market and economic data.
- Develop an economic dashboard as a way of monitoring longer term macroeconomic trends in SA and major economies.
- Preparation of economic variable reports on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Work with other investment analysts to determine the investment case for exposure to various asset classes and economic sectors.
- Develop an understanding of the full portfolio management process, including front, middle and back office operations.
- Keep abreast of current market dynamics and their relationship to economic developments to help determine whether macroeconomic conditions are in balance.
Description of Tasks
- Develop econometric models for a number of relevant economic variables and market metrics.
- Analyse relevant economic data releases to highlight developing trends.
- Research and propose new developments in economic analysis.
- Develop an economic dashboard showing economic trend and risks.
- Prepare economic reports, charts and slides for inclusion in client reportback sessions.
- Work with other investment professionals to write up and report on the investment case for exposure to various asset classes.
- Liaise with investment team to develop further integration of ESG issues into investment process.
- Assist the investment administration team with relevant actions to assist with trade executions and settlement.
- Assist portfolio managers with administrative matters.
- Assist with preparation of client proposals, presentations, portfolio reviews.
- Any other duties that may be required from time to time.
Skills/Personal Attributes Required
- Strong economic analysis skills (i.e. Economics/Econometrics).
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Ability to analyse information, interpret trends and draw relevant conclusions.
- Strong numerical skills and ability to develop and maintain Excel spreadsheet models
- Ability to write coherent reports and recommendations.
- Professional, proactive, efficient and reliable.
- Confident communicating with external parties and clients.
- Sound inter-personal skills, friendly, good telephone manner.
- Must be able to work under pressure and focus for long periods.
- Able to work effectively within a team or independently.
- Have a passion for economics and a keen interest in working in investment markets.
- Integrity and trustworthiness must be beyond reproach.
- A degree in the Finance/Investment Management fields, with preference for Economics / Econometrics.
The next step is to enter the application process by completing the role match questionnaire. This online questionnaire is designed to identify if you are a good match for the role and the company and also help predict a new hire's on-the-job performance and retainability. You will be required to use the link below:
Creating your profile:
- Registration and authentication:
- Please navigate to http://ai.pivotaltalent.co.za/?CID=195DF (we recommend using Chrome)
- Select ‘New registration’
- Complete registration information. Your email and password can be used to log in and continue building your profile, if you do not complete it in one session. Remember to accept the terms and conditions.
- Select ‘Register a new account’
A few general guidelines for completing the assessment:
- Follow the registration page and register as a new user.
- There are no right/wrong answers. Do not see this as a test, just a way of assessing how you see things and approach problems.
- Read the instruction pages carefully, there are timed questions, if you go past them you cannot go back. You only have one chance to complete the assessment.
- The 1st section is the most challenging and is also timed, take notes right from the start! Do not let this section discourage you.
- Please find the time to put aside 45 min to complete the assessment (without any distractions).
Please note that selecting ‘next’ on the assessment saves the current progress.
Please ensure that you do this before logging out. (It is recommended not to log out during a section that is timed, as indicated by a counter at the top of the page).
If you have any issues while completing the assessment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot of your error message; in this way we can give your support requirements the attention it needs.