Our client is on the lookout for Data Analysts to bolster the Data and Analytics capability within the business. This role is open to applicants from Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Pretoria, with remote work possible.
Our client is a Fintech business offering the emerging consumer access to affordable and reliable financial services. Their foundation is built on international money transfers – helping customers to move money into, out of, and around Africa. From this base they have grown to provide a broad range of services to answer a greater array of financial needs of their customers.
If being part of one of Africa’s largest money transfer companies, enabling millions of people to remit vital support to their loved ones across the region appeals to you, then our client wants to hear from you!
The Data Analyst role is embedded in a business domain and reports into a leader within the domain. Business domains include but are not limited to, Commercial, Finance, Compliance, Marketing, Sales, Customer Servicing and Product.
In this role, the Data Analyst will collaborate cross functionally to understand business problems and then build data driven solutions to solve them, having the opportunity to work across full spectrum of descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
Data analysts work in close alignment with the Business Intelligence team, benefiting from their data architecture, tooling, and technical expertise.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but is not limited to):
- Work closely with stakeholders across all levels and business areas to elicit data and analysis requirements.
- Translate requirements into reporting or data analysis specifications employing critical thinking to ensure alignment with the actual business need.
- Be the translator between Business, Product, and the Data teams on data needs.
- Interview subject matter experts and shadow workflows to build an understanding of the company’s data collection and logging processes. In time, become an expert in the company’s data.
- Specify, gather, clean, combine and aggregate data from disparate sources for data analysis and reporting needs
- Profile and validate all data intended for use in reporting or analysis to ensure high data quality (accuracy, completeness, missing / invalid data correction, timeliness).
- Perform data analysis to (not exhaustive):
- Extract key insights and observations to influence / support business decisions and actions.
- Identify the core drivers / levers and segments that influence the movement of key metrics / KPIs.
- Identify gaps in existing business processes and product offerings and formulate recommendations to improve them.
- Measure the effectiveness of product launches and new business initiatives.
- Design, build, and maintain reports to track and communicate KPIs and results from data analysis activities.
- Build data visualizations to improve access and visibility into the content from all key reports and the company’s data in general.
- Share insights and analysis results in written form and in business presentations.
- Train and support user community in the use of reports, BI tools, and the interpretation of analysis results.
- Collect and apply feedback from business presentations, user training and peer review to continuously improve reporting and analysis solutions.
- Proactively communicate the status (including blockers, risks, issues) and roadmap of the work assigned to you, with all affected stakeholders.
- Cultivate relationships and collaborate cross-functionally to shape, support, and execute on business and product goals.
- Help define and improve upon the company’s analytics standards through participation within the community of practice, conducting peer reviews and contribution to internal documentation.
- Identify data quality issues, their corresponding root cause and collaborate with business, product, and data teams to drive improvements in data hygiene.
- Continuously upskill and stay abreast of new developments in Data Analysis and BI tools, methodologies, and applications.
- Grade 12 or equivalent (essential).
- Tertiary qualification in a quantitative field (includes but not limited to – Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Actuarial Science, Economics, Finance, Business Analytics).
- 4+ years working experience within Data Analytics or Business Intelligence (essential).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and understand how to share insights and analytical results to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knows how to work with stakeholders to gather Data and Analysis requirements and communicate findings.
- Strong report / dashboard development and data visualization skills with modern BI tools (e.g., Power BI, Tableau, Qlik).
- Advanced SQL skills.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- R or Python programming for Data Analysis (desirable).
- Experience cleaning, assimilating, manipulating, and aggregating large data sets using SQL, R or Python or similar tools.
- Knowledge of data analysis techniques, such as time series analysis, scenario analysis, clustering and segmentation, regression, decision trees, forecasting, and interpretation and creation of probability distributions (proficiency in a few of these will suffice).
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Execution-oriented, and able to complete tasks independently.
- Experience in Financial Services or Retail industry or high growth businesses.
- Teamworking and collaboration.
- Excellent organisational skills with ability to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items and able to stay focused under pressure.
- Passionate about knowledge sharing.
- Attention to detail.
- Data modelling.
- A/B testing.
Should you be appointed in a remote / work from home role at the company, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have uninterrupted internet connectivity and a ‘work-like’ environment at your home location, in order to deliver your best in terms of performance, productivity and service to our customers.
Market related salary offered.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Area: Cape Town.
Please apply online if you meet the above-mentioned requirements.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you do not receive any response after two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
NB: All staff appointments will be made with due consideration of the company’s EE targets.