#Kriel Our client are looking to employ a Construction Manager on a Fixed Term Contract (1 Year) to provide expert knowledge and management of construction as a function across all large and mega projects, To set standards and to ensure that sound practices are applied across all projects, adding maximum value for business of today/tomorrow & To oversee and advise Project Managers and in-sourced Project Construction Managers with respect to construction management of projects and governance
- Management Development Programme (Preferable)
- Gov Cert of Competence: Engineering (Preferable)
- BSc (Hons) Mechanical, B Eng. Mechanical or B-Tech Mechanical Engineering or Construction Management Required)
- Certificate Project Management (Preferable)
- Minimum 8 years Business Unit and project construction management exposure.
- Relevant experience in Project management, project evaluation and improvement, exposure to projects in heavy industry, project management principles and practices for the planning, design and implementation of project outcomes.
- Relevant engineering management exposure, design office, machine design, mining equipment design and selection, problem solving and optimisation, construction management in large/mega projects
- Engineering Council of SA (PrEng)
KPA's will be (but not limited to) :
Compliance, Governance and Assurance
- Set project construction management guidelines and standards; in conjunction with Site and Project Manager, Project compliance and governance.
- Ensure compliance to set governance across all areas of responsibility
- Be extremely proficient with detailed engineering design review and scrutinising for construction purposes
- Adhere to Mine Health and Safety Act (MHSA) and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act and comply with company specific Safety Health and Environment (SHE) policies and procedures and other legal requirements
- Conduct assurance reviews on construction management project processes
- Technical compliance to Governance in terms of construction management
- Perform constructability reviews and HAZCONs
- Develop, maintain, and govern standards for contract terms of the agreement and cost, forecast, time, quality, and site administration management
- Maintain and ensure that contract documentation and standard forms are used in the construction phase of the project
- Ensure that the testing of materials and workmanship is carried out according to prescribed requirements
- Manage all construction audits
- Drive and adhere to Quality and Commissioning Management Process.
- Manage all draw down contracts with construction management contractors and take full accountability for these contracts
- Ensure that only approved sub-contractors are allowed
- Ensure that only work inside of the scope is executed
- Construction Manager responsible for final approval of work to go ahead
- Integration and interface management between contractors and work
- Standardise, simplify and speed-up construction management processes and eliminate duplication/bureaucracy
- Develop and apply construction management best practices, promote sharing of best practices/knowledge between centres and incorporate lessons learned
- Drive and execute functional excellence initiatives
- Drive, measure, and implement contractor catch-up / recovery plans
- Contribute to construction management functional/cross-functional alignment with other project and functional disciplines
- Contribute to effective reporting to ensure safety and operational excellence
- Provide high level expert technical assurance to project teams/individuals and increase awareness of technology advancements/innovations to ensure access to appropriate outputs to meet business deliverables
- Identify, report, and manage critical functional risks through appropriate mitigation plans/actions governance: ensure function adheres to governance, policies and standards, statutory and legal compliance.
- Entrench a culture of discipline.
- Financial management: Support cost management and forecast drives with manager.
- Adhere to change management process
- Performance management: contributes to the functional strategic plan implementation through disciplined execution processes, track implementation and provide status (success or failure) feedback to manager.
- Project compliance and governance for integrated functional management approach. Set and maintain high performance standards. Track and drive targets/goals, hold construction management team members and contractors responsible for achieving results. Remove obstacles that interfere with reaching objectives and handle performance problems and ensure momentum of construction through facilitating contractor’s successful execution of the project.
- Continuous improvement and functional change: Identify, advocate for and lead construction management improvement and change. Create a culture of continuous improvement and change agility in function
- Engagement/communication: Communicate and engage construction management employees (including insourced resources). Engage with operations, cross-functionally, across areas of responsibility and with peers
- Direct management of site supervisors, surveyors, consultants etc.
- Develop and build strategic partnerships with suppliers / sub-contractors to ensure effective and efficient execution of all types of projects
- Initiate improvements and maintenance of implemented systems for the improvement of the project
- Control interface with Business Unit and battery limit management
- Interface with BU representatives on Commissioning and drive the process so they sign off
Knowledge Management and Continuous Improvement
Safe and Healthy Work Environment
- Knowledge sharing across business units and projects
- Integration of Construction management community of practice (with all insourced resources)
- Knowledge sharing, investigation on related issues and guidance.
- Coordination of actions to reduce construction management risks
- Maintain a consolidated active Group wide lesson learned and for other registers for construction management monthly
- Adhere to all health/safety practices and promote good housekeeping on an ongoing basis.
- Address all unsafe practices/potential hazardous situations and rectify/report to superior
- Active risk management on current and future processes/activities
- Comply with Safety Health Environment and Community (SHEC)/technical requirements and safety pre-cautionary measures
- Provide the necessary guidance and support upfront to ensure compliance to the construction management standards
- Assist management team with technically complex construction management advice where required
- Provide support to project managers and Business Units (BUs) project managers in instances where there is no appointed project construction manager, Take the lead in areas of responsibility and function without supervision
**Please note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted**