Building/Construction/Mining - Other Building/Construction/Mining
Environmental Control Officer
Relevant tertiary education in a field of environmental management; or Basic knowledge of/and relevant experience in a field of environmental management.
The (ECO) is responsible for monitoring all activities on a development site and ensuring that the mine and contractors comply with the requirements of the conditions as stipulated in any environmental authorisation as well as the requirements as outlined in the EMPr (Environmental Management Programmme).
The (ECO) would be on the site on a regular basis to assess the project, its aspects and impacts and advise as to the required actions in order to ensure that all legal requirements, best practise protocols, adherence to prescribed legislation are achieved.
An (ECO) should be able to provide environmental awareness training to all staff on a construction site both in the induction phase as well as ongoing throughout the construction phase.
The ECO’s duties normally include (but are not limited to) the following:
• Liaising with different Mining Sections on Environmental Compliance;
• Assisting the Mine Manager in ensuring all the necessary environmental authorizations and permits have been obtained and confirming that the activities on the site comply with legislation;
• Writing and/or advising on method statements for activities that would occur is especially sensitive environments and assisting the Mine Manager in finding environmentally responsible solutions to problems;
• Daily inspection on the mine addressing issues of concern that may have a negative impact on the environment.
• Keeping record of all environmental aspects including water management on site;
• Ensuring a proactive and effective implementation and management of environmental protection measures as identified in audit reports and recommendations from the Environmental Assessment Practitioner(EAP) for the mine;
• Ensuring that the requisite remedial action is implemented appropriately in the event of non-compliance;
The (ECO) would also address and ensure that an ethos of progressive rehabilitation takes place throughout the mining activities in order reach the closure objectives of the mine.
PMG MINING PTY LTD