Careers you can pursue in the tourism and hospitality industry
Are you looking for work in the hospitality industry? From chef jobs to tour guide positions, there are plenty of exciting hospitality careers out there. If you have outstanding interpersonal and problem-solving skills, this might be the right industry for you. Get your career off to a great start by looking for vacancies on Job Mail.
What are the benefits of hospitality careers?
- A diverse range of positions that suit your skills and experience to choose from
- Plenty of room for growth
- Long- and short-term positions
- Some careers offer flexible working hours
- There are a wide range of opportunities for students to work part-time and gain experience
- Decent salaries
- Every day brings new challenges
- International employment opportunities
- Depending on the career path you choose, there are also opportunities for travelling
- You meet new people every day
Hotel Operations Manager
Hotel operations managers are responsible for ensuring that accommodation establishments offer a high-quality service. They oversee a team of staff and work with budgets. They’re also involved in the daily tasks of hotels and play an important role in the decision-making process.
If you love food, you can consider becoming a chef. You’ll need to have a flair for cooking as well as an understanding of food safety regulations. Once you’re hired, you’re likely to receive specialised training on how to prepare the dishes your establishment offers. Depending on your level of experience, you could become a sous or executive chef.
When it comes to hospitality careers, working as a tour guide is a fun option. You’ll take guests to a variety of tourist attractions while providing them with historical and cultural information. An in-depth understanding of the area is essential as you’ll be responsible for answering a range of questions posed by curious guests.
Marketing and sales
Marketing plays an important role in the hospitality industry. Employees who are hired in a marketing position help to boost sales and profits. If you get hired in this role, you’ll need to be able to work under pressure. An understanding of the various marketing mediums, as well as knowledge of budgets, is important for this role.
A hotel clerk is required to check-in and check-out guests. They assign rooms and answer telephone calls. Hotel clerks need to have extensive knowledge of the establishment they’re working in as they are required to respond to inquiries about the hotel’s services.
Cleaners can find employment opportunities across the hospitality industry. They are not only required to clean rooms, but also to clean the rest of the establishment. Their duties will depend on the type and size of establishment, for example, hotels, casinos, guesthouses, etc.
What skills do hospitality careers require?
Careers in hospitality require a diverse range of skills. Here are some of the key capabilities that you’ll need:
- Communication and interpersonal capabilities
- Creative thinking
- Problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Financial knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure
Your training, as well as your work experience, will impact your chances of getting hired. The advantage of the hospitality industry is that there are entry-level positions that require little or no experience. Once you have your foot in the door, you can work your way up to your dream position.
If you would like to go and study, here are some options to consider:
- Degree or diploma in hospitality management. You can study at most universities and tertiary education institutes.
- Bachelor of Technology in Hospitality Management. Available at tertiary education institutes.
- Short or online courses in specialised skills. Mostly available at tertiary institutes, such as colleges, but online as well.
Related studies include degrees, diplomas or higher certificates in:
- Human Resources
- Events Management
- Culinary Arts
- Professional Cookery
These studies are also available at most universities and tertiary education institutes across South Africa.
Now that you know more about the hospitality industry, you can decide which role best matches your interests and skills. When it comes to hospitality careers, there are plenty of awesome opportunities on Job Mail.
Job Mail Staff Writer
Latest posts by Job Mail Staff Writer (see all)
- These are the different engineering careers - Aug 15, 2019
- Career lessons to help you be successful and happy - Aug 13, 2019
- Simple and easy sales techniques to improve your skills - Aug 8, 2019