Forklift operator careers – What you need to know
Are you looking for employment in the warehouse or logistics industry? From moving materials to securing loads, there is a wide range of responsibilities associated with this position. Browse through various forklift operator vacancies on Job Mail today.
What does a forklift operator do?
A forklift operator is responsible for moving goods from one location to another, which can be in warehouses, large retailers, factories, storage yards, construction sites, and other areas. Forklift operators can either work set hours or shifts, depending on the industry and company.
The responsibilities of a forklift operator include the following:
- Loading and unloading materials
- Following production schedules and shipping orders
- Moving materials around the warehouse
- Stacking materials in storage areas
- Adhering to inventory control instructions
- Securing loads
- Maintaining high levels of safety
- Stacking empty pallets
- Conducting equipment checks
- Removing forklift attachments
- Checking product quality
- Ensuring forklifts are sent for repairs and maintenance
What employment opportunities are out there?
There are a moderate number of employment opportunities available for forklift operators. If you decide to pursue a career as a forklift operator, you can look for vacancies at logistics companies, large retail, manufacturing companies, construction companies, railroad companies, harbours among others.
What kind of work environment can you expect?
If you pursue a career as a forklift operator, you can expect to work in a somewhat noisy work environment. You’ll be required to wear protective gear and spend a large part of your day inside a forklift cab. Forklift operators usually work in warehouses but may spend time working outdoors, depending on the industry. It’s important to follow safety regulations as the typical work environment contains hazardous equipment and conditions. You’ll have a medium level of social contact and complete tasks as part of a team on a regular basis. This position may require shift work.
To become a forklift operator, you would typically require the following:
- Senior Certificate
- Code 10 and 14 driver’s licence
Some companies offer on-the-job training in order to operate a forklift safely and efficiently, but other companies may require previous experience and/or a certificate of training. This certificate can be obtained from various accredited training institutions across South Africa.
What skills do you need to succeed as a forklift operator?
- Physical stamina
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to follow instructions
- Outstanding eye-hand coordination
- Ability to assess distances and heights precisely
- Good work ethic
- Interpersonal skills
- Mathematical aptitude
- Organisational capabilities
- Patience and perseverance
- Ability to adapt to change
- Ability to work shifts
Working as a forklift operator is a good opportunity to gain entry into the warehouse or logistics industry. Hard work and additional training can help you to advance your career. If you’re ready to start your career as a forklift operator, you can find relevant employment opportunities on Job Mail.
Job Mail Staff Writer
Latest posts by Job Mail Staff Writer (see all)
- Get your CV ready before the job-hunting season starts in 2020 - Dec 9, 2019
- Find out whether taking a gap year is the best decision for you - Nov 27, 2019
- How to politely decline a job offer - Nov 26, 2019