Find out whether taking a gap year is the best decision for you
Are you thinking of taking a gap year? Choosing whether to take a year off or not is a big decision to make, so you’ll need to consider your options carefully. You can find part-time vacancies on Job Mail and save some money before your gap year begins.
What is a gap year?
A gap year is an opportunity for students to take a break between high school and tertiary education to either travel or work. If you choose to take a gap year, you’ll gain life experience, new skills, and improved self-confidence before you dedicate yourself to focusing on your studies. You’ll also have a better understanding of what you would like to do one day and maybe even find a different career path.
Benefits of taking a gap year
- It will help you gain perspective on what you want to do with your life and if the career path you are considering is the right choice for you.
- You can gain work experience while earning money at the same time.
- If you work and earn money during your gap year, you can use that money to fund your studies or save it for a rainy day.
- Travelling during your gap year can broaden your horizons, allow you to meet new people, and learn about different cultures.
- You will develop new life skills.
- You’ll be less likely to suffer from burnout.
What you can do during this time
Need inspiration? There are plenty of exciting ways to spend your gap year. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Volunteer – choose a cause you care about and look for volunteering opportunities in South Africa or across the globe. Match your area of focus with your career so that you can develop useful skills while giving back.
- Learn a new language – travel to a different country to learn a new language. You’ll have fun exploring and meeting new people while gaining insight into different cultures.
- TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Language offers you the opportunity to travel, experience new cultures, and earn money at the same time. While many places require a university degree, you can find suitable vacancies once you’ve completed a TEFL course.
- Au pair – if you enjoy spending time with children, you can find job opportunities locally and across the globe. Before you apply for these positions, start babysitting so that you can build up childcare experience.
- Internship – completing an internship sets you apart from the crowd when you apply for jobs later. You can find an internship in your area or overseas. This opportunity helps you develop the skills you need to succeed.
- Work on a cruise ship – this option combines travelling and working, which is ideal for any young adult. It will be an amazing experience where you will learn a ton about life and people skills. You’ll also see different parts of the world while making money can you save for your studies.
With so many benefits to taking a gap year, it’s easy to see why so many students decide to take time off. Looking for an exciting part-time job? Find vacancies on Job Mail and get your gap year off to a great start.
Job Mail Staff Writer
Latest posts by Job Mail Staff Writer (see all)
- Top construction careers for 2020 - Jan 21, 2020
- How to stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs in 2020 - Jan 8, 2020
- The benefits of completing a project management course - Dec 18, 2019