What you need to know about becoming a brand manager
Branding plays an extremely important role for businesses in our modern society, which is why brand managers are in such high demand, not only nationally, but globally. Being a brand manager is exciting, challenging, and very rewarding. You’ll need a diverse skill set to be successful in this career, from project management skills to analytical capabilities and communication skills. So, if you’re looking for a job opportunity in brand management, visit Job Mail today.
Brand management duties
A brand manager is responsible for conducting market research with the aim of collecting essential audience and brand data. Using this data, they are required to create customised marketing and brand management strategies for specific products or services. Report writing also forms an important part of this role.
Brand managers are responsible for handling both the perceptible and imperceptible characteristics for a brand. They can either manage specific product brands, which includes the products itself, as well as packaging, pricing, and availability. They can also manage service brands and customer experience.
Brand management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Social media management
- Excellent marketing skills
- Computer literacy
- Interpersonal capabilities
- Graphic design
- Presentations skills
- Logical thinking
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Time-management skills
While it’s not compulsory to complete a specific degree or diploma, it is still recommended. You can always kick-start your career as a brand manager by completing relevant short courses.
What you can study:
- Degrees or diplomas in marketing, communication, business or sales – You can study at most universities and tertiary education institutes
- Under Graduate Degree or Diploma in Brand Management – Available at various tertiary institutes
- Short or online courses in marketing or Brand Management – Mostly available at tertiary institutes, such as colleges, but available online as well
Why is brand management so important?
Brand management plays a vital role in the modern world we live in. With an increase in communication channels between companies and their customers, there is a greater need for brand managers. The demand for these professionals has also increased because of the ability of consumers to affect the public’s image of a brand. According to studies, over 90% of people make their purchasing decisions by reading online reviews.
As a brand manager, you can expect to work in a comfortable office environment together with a marketing team. You’ll typically be required to work regular business hours, but overtime may be required to meet tight deadlines. As you’ll be working in a fast-paced environment, you’ll need to be able to cope when completing your duties under pressure.
Brand managers can find employment opportunities across a diverse range of industries. While these positions were typically only found in large companies in the past, the increased need for brand management has created opportunities in small and medium-sized organizations. You could work as part of an in-house marketing team or for a marketing firm.
- Reputation Manager
- Marketing Director
- Operations or Marketing Manager
- Assistant Brand Manager
- Marketing Analysis
- Marketing Coordinator
- Marketing Director
With the right knowledge and skills, you can enjoy an exciting career as a brand manager. The increase in demand for these professionals elevates your chances of getting hired. If you want to take your career to the next level, you can find brand management vacancies on Job Mail.
Job Mail Staff Writer
Latest posts by Job Mail Staff Writer (see all)
- Interested in becoming a lecturer? Here’s what you need to know - March 21, 2019
- Careers you can pursue in the tourism and hospitality industry - March 19, 2019
- Tips for healthy eating habits at work - March 15, 2019