Beware of Fake Training Job Scams
South Africa has a high unemployment rate and it’s sad and unfortunate that there are individuals and companies out there who take advantage of unsuspecting job seekers. Job Mail cares and we don’t want you to get caught by these scammers, so today we’d like to make you aware of Fake Training Job Scams and inform you how to avoid them.
How Fake Training Job Scams work:
- Job adverts for Call Centre Agents / Waiters / other professions (which may require training before employment) are placed on different job portals.
- Once they receive applications / a response from a job seeker they’ll call them and let them know that they should come in for an Interview for the position.
- When the job seeker arrives at their “offices” they are told that they need to pay money for training.
- After the “training”, job seekers are told that they will be called when the position is open.
Even though job seekers pay for their training, most of them never hear from these “companies” again.
How to avoid being caught by this scam:
Do NOT ever pay money to a Training Institution that is not accredited. You can check if the college is registered on the Department of Education website or the South African Qualifications Authority website. Alternatively, you can send an email to RegistrarFET@doe.gov.za to find out about a college and their status.
The final component of a college’s accreditation has to do with the fact that the college’s accreditation must be verified by Umalusi. You can contact Umalusi telephonically on 021 3491510.
If you have been a victim of a Fake Training Job Scam or any other job scam, please e-mail our consultant via email@example.com so we can investigate.
If you need to find out about other scam types that are doing their rounds in SA, read our article featuring the 3 common scams targeting job seekers. You may also want to familiarize yourself with the safeguards to follow for online job hunting to avoid getting caught by scammers.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Make Your Job Search a Success! - May 4, 2018
- Frequently Asked Questions From Job Seekers Who Use Job Mail - Apr 19, 2017
- Frequently asked Questions from Employers who use Job Mail - Mar 13, 2017