Becoming a Paramedic in South Africa
If you are considering becoming a Paramedic in South Africa, or you have finally completed your studies and training in Paramedics you need to make sure you are well equipped with the leadership and problem-solving skills needed to be a Paramedic.
As a Paramedic, your life might seem as normal as any other, but on a daily basis you will have to be on standby for the many emergencies that occur on a daily basis, including accidents
It is a very respectable job that requires patience and the ability to work under pressure. In South Africa, the typical working hours for a paramedic are from 7am to 7pm, and 7pm to 7am for the nightshift Paramedic.
Paramedics should be highly regarded because they are the type of individuals who are at the front line when it comes to situations of life and death. They deal with car accidents, brawls, shootings and many more.
As a Paramedic you need to be able to think fast, be calm and handle the situation in a way that people feel at ease with and know that you will do everything it takes to save their lives. It is a very tough job, sometimes your emotions are tested, but there are also great times like when you bring a life into the world.
Moments such as the birth of a child, make it worthwhile to be a Paramedic. You get a chance to save lives and give hope.
If you are considering becoming a Paramedic, according to ER24 you need the following qualifications to become a Paramedic:
- Basic Ambulance Assistant (BAA) / Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Ambulance Emergency Assistant (AEA) / Intermediate Life Support (ILS)
- Critical Care Assistant (CCA) / Advanced Life Support (ALS)
- National Diploma. Emergency Medical Care / Advanced Life Support (ALS) Course now changed to BTech. Emergency Medical Care
- Bachelor of Technology in Emergency Medical Care / Advanced Life Support (ALS)
- Other Emergency Medical Care qualifications registered with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa.
You will also need training, for training as a Paramedic you can join the ER24 Training Academy.
With the personality and qualifications, the only thing left for you as a Paramedic is for you to love your job. Loving your job is very important, especially if you want to become the best Paramedic there is. It is a requirement that will make your job much simpler.
Latest posts by Yolanda Zondo (see all)
- Tips on how to become successful in Finance - Sep 5, 2014
- Why you should become a Conveyance Lawyer - Sep 4, 2014
- Debt Attorney? Find out what this job is all about… - Sep 3, 2014