10 Ways To Look For a Job
Not many people realize it, but hunting for a job is one of the most studied phenomena of our time. It is amazing what we know about it. Acquainting one self with this research can pay rich dividends while in the process of job-hunting (especially if one’s job-hunt is running into trouble).
Most Job Seekers think there are basically only 3 ways to go about their job-hunt: Resumes, Ads and Agencies.
But there are actually 10:
- Using the Internet to look for job listings or to post one’s own resume online. On websites like Job Mail and others.
- Mailing out CVs to employers at random.
- Answering adverts in professional or trade journals appropriate to the field in which you are looking to be employed.
- Answering local newspaper ads.
- Going to private employment agencies or search firms.
- Asking a former teacher / lector / professor for job-leads.
- Asking family members, friends, or professionals you know for job-leads.
- Knocking on the door of any employer, factory, or office that interests you, whether they are known to have a vacancy or not.
- By yourself, using the phone book’s Yellow Pages to identify fields that interest you, then calling employers in those fields to see if they’re hiring for the kind of work you can do.
- Doing what is called “the creative approach to job-hunting or career-change”: Firstly doing homework on yourself, to figure out what your favorite and best skills are. Secondly doing face-to-face interviewing for information only (at organizations in your field). Thirdly following this up by using your personal contacts to get in to see, at each organization that has interested you, the person-who-actually-has-the-power-to-hire-you (not necessarily the human resources department).
51% of those who use only one method of job-hunting abandon looking for a job by the second month. On the other hand, of those who are using two or more methods only 31% abandon their search by the second month. Does this mean that you should try to use all 10 methods, if your job-hunt just isn’t working? Not exactly.
Researchers discovered that job-hunting success increases with each additional method you use, but only up to 4 methods. If you use 5 or more of the 10 methods listed above, job-hunting success starts to decrease. The explanation for this may lie in the fact that you can give up to 4 methods the time each deserves, but if you try to do 5 or more, you start cutting too many corners.
Well, there you have it, some ideas that will assist you in your job-hunting journey. We hope that you will find these ways helpful. Also check out the Lesson 1 and Lesson 2 (in the Do These Things When You’re Looking for a Job Series).
This information was found on Job Dig.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Make Your Job Search a Success! - May 4, 2018
- Frequently Asked Questions From Job Seekers Who Use Job Mail - Apr 19, 2017
- Frequently asked Questions from Employers who use Job Mail - Mar 13, 2017